Civil engineering is considered to be the oldest form of engineering, and for this very reason it is also sometimes called the “mother of all engineering.” In simpler terms, civil engineering is all about the physical aspect of things that are beneficial for the smooth functioning of normal human life. From bridges, flyovers, buildings, roads, dams, canals, to airports, every structure that aids the routine use, passage, and sustenance of commoners is covered under civil engineering. Right from the ideation stage to the final plan, archetype, development, construction, and maintenance of those structures, all of it falls under the job description of a civil engineer.
Civil engineering is deemed to be the root of efficiency in day to day operations of the general public. As the name suggests, the entire civilization relies heavily on the outcome of work that a civil engineer does. There are hundreds and thousands of factors that are to be considered before approving a design, whether we talk about an exceptionally planned urban city, or something as basic as sewerage structures, civil engineers have a major role to play. Especially in a developing country like India, where growth and expansion are always in the talks, civil engineering stands as the need of the hour. This need is directly proportional to the prospects available in this domain of engineering, thereby increasing its scope in 2021.
So many branches related to human civilization require consistent brainstorming, execution, supervision, and management. Be it the government sector, industrial sector, commercial sector or even the social sphere, the possibilities for civil engineers to expand their area of work are enormous. Considering the domains that civil engineering encompass, there are branches like transportation engineering, building, planning, and construction, town planning, water resources engineering, surveying and levelling, structural engineering, geotechnical engineering, environmental engineering, and more that students can gain expertise in, which further demonstrates the ambit of this profession in current times.
Every branch of engineering requires you to have a particular set of skills that aid you in enriching your knowledge on the specialization of your choice. To pursue BTech in civil engineering in 2021 these are the following skills that you must possess in order to come out as An eminent professional in your realm.
Many public and private institutions offer Btech in civil engineering to aspiring candidates. These institutions differ in terms of fees, eligibility criteria, campus infrastructure, placements, research potential etc. Following is a list of the top 10 colleges that offer a BTech degree in civil engineering in 2021, along with their fees mentioned aside.
|S.No.||Name of the college||Fees (Rs.)|
|1||Indian Institute of Technology Bombay||9.08 lakhs|
|2||College of Engineering Pune||3.39 lakhs|
|3||Delhi Technological University||7.81 lakhs|
|4||Indian Institute of engineering science NSE and Technology Shibpur||5.81 lakhs|
|5||VeermataJijabai Technological Institute Mumbai||3.22 lakhs|
|6||SardarVallabhbhai National Institute of Technology Surat||5.38 lakhs|
|7||Harcourt Butler Technical University Kanpur||5.3 lakhs|
|8||Lal Nehru Technical University Hyderabad college of engineering||82K|
|9||Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur||8.47 lakhs|
|10||Institute of Technology Tiruchirappalli||8.8 lakhs|
|S.No.||Name of the college||Fees (Rs.)|
|1||Lloyd Institute of Engineering and Technology Greater Noida||7.8 lakhs|
|2||Manipal Institute of Technology||16.16 lakhs|
|3||SRM Institute of Science and Technology Chennai||5.5 lakhs|
|4||Dayananda Sagar College of Engineering Bangalore||3.89 lakhs|
|5||Vellore Institute of Technology Vellore||6.92 lakhs|
|6||RV College of Engineering Bangalore||2.35 lakhs|
|7||British Institute of Technology Kolkata||3.83 lakhs|
|8||BhartiyaVidyapeeth Deemed University College of Engineering Pune||5.10 lakhs|
|9||Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology Bhubaneswar||14.91 lakhs|
|10||Amity School of Engineering Noida||5.32 lakhs|
Basic eligibility criteria remain the same, however, the specifications may vary from one college to another. It is advised that students must ensure that they match up to the requirements of each institution before applying
1. Students must have completed their 12th from a recognised board of Institution, like CBSE, ISCE, or state board
2. Students must have studied physics, chemistry and mathematics in class 12th, under-medical stream. Some Institutions require English as a mandatory subject as well
3. The students must have secured a minimum aggregate of 45% for reserved categories and 40% for unreserved categories. However, this may vary from government to private institutions, as certain colleges demand a minimum aggregate of 75% in class 12 with 60% individually in the three main subjects.
The admission process of pursuing ba tech in civil engineering in 2021 is almost similar in all institutions. There are basic mandatory steps that must be followed without which the admission wouldn't be granted. Let's look at this common process at a glance below.
1. Application forms for various national level exams, like JEE mains and JEE, advanced, state-level exams like MH CET, KCET etc, as well as university-level exams like BITSAT, SRMJEEE etc are rolled out at the beginning of the academic years. The dates vary from one exam to another and must be checked monthly to make sure you’re not missing out on any exam-related update.
2. Once the application forms are out, students must fill it thoroughly without missing out on any detail that may or may not lead to rejection of your application form. There’s a nominal fee that must be paid for each application that varies for reserved and unreserved categories. After your application is submitted, students must wait for their admit cards, where exam-related specifications like venue, timings etc are mentioned.
3. Aspirants are then supposed to appear for their exam and attempt it. There are different rules and different eligibility criteria for each exam that must be checked before applying. These may include the marks obtained in 12th, the stream opted etc.
4. Different cut off lists for different colleges are released, students who make it through the merit are qualified for applying to specific colleges. Selected candidates are then called for counselling where they’re allotted different branches based on their preference but the final decision is made in accordance with their ranks. The number and availability of seats have a major role to play here.
Thus, the number of prospects available for civil engineers in 2021 is huge because of the omnipresent nature of this domain of engineering in day to day human activities. Primarily, this is the oldest, and hence, most widely pursued specialisation that offers engineering graduates a chance to build large, functional, and efficient ecosystems right from their foundation. There are many prestigious institutions across the country with their extensive, industry-oriented curriculum that allow students to channel and hone their skills as they learn them. One such institution offering these prospects is the Lloyds Institute of Engineering And Technology. Introducing a new and one of its kind programs for the first time in India, Lloyd has unveiled its Cooperative Education Program that provides its engineering undergraduate students to work and earn while studying, and gain practical skills that complement their theoretical knowledge so thE students can gain an edge over others, and Lloyd makes its happen with its industry-focused approach.